Friday, September 17, 2010

Vacation 2010 (2nd entry Mt. Rushmore)

So it's actually day 3 of our trip...August 28... we woke up in Walls, SD and decided to go on to Mt. Rushmore. Of course by now Daddy has called to see where we are and just which way did we decide to go (when he left, we still hadn't officially decided on a route). We inform him of where we are at and our plans to visit the 4 men in the mountain. I'm so glad we decided to do this. Beautiful and breath-taking Our first glimpse of them we're getting closer!! This quick passing pictures do not even do it justice...just wait.. So after a long trip up the mountain we finally arrive. As you walk in these pillars each have a state's flag on it along with the date the state was admitted to the union. And you know, I had to take note of Mississippi This is the view from the lookout theater There is a walking path around the bottom of the monument to be able to get some pictures. It's only like maybe a .34 mile walk around there, but let me tell you, the elevation make a big difference on a fluffy person. I was wore out. Along the way we found this little birch tree of some sort ( or so Daddy says) with the perfect rings around the bark. It was just one of those that caught your attentionThroughout the path, there are little places you can get some good shots . I felt like these were the best ones I had of each individual It is truly breath taking. As I was taking mypictures of each, Mom would get ahead of me and find a nice little spot to sit and watch the wildlife... Lots of squirrels & chipmunks around here. They know you can't bother them and believe me they were not scared of people. Like me with the funny sun glasses!!



Now it's time to hit the road again. But we were out quick in the little tourist town at the foot of Mt. Rushmore Some very nice shops in here and a lot of shops that had Sturgis related items in it. Which told me we were getting close to motorcycle city. Now back in the vehicle and we do actually pass the Sturgis on our way into Wyoming.

I'll pick up later where we are leaving off....Wyoming that is...the whole maybe 120 miles of it we went thru..

2 comments:

Cindi B said...

You got some great photos but I'm wondering since you were on your way to Washington why you didn't take a photo of the Washington pillar?

Chonda said...

i thought mom was getting that one..